Public urged to have their say on the new Local Plan
21st November 2023
Local people can soon comment on the Council’s draft Local Plan, which includes proposals to meet the District’s future housing and development needs.
Sevenoaks District Council is working on ‘Plan 2040’, a new Local Plan, which sets out what can be built and where over the next 15 years.
Plan 2040 will help to deliver much needed new homes, including affordable homes, while promoting residents’ health and wellbeing and protecting the environment, including the overwhelming majority of the Green Belt.
While Plan 2040 proposes to make the best use of land within existing built up areas, the Council faces a big challenge as the Government has told the Council the District needs 10,680 new homes from 2025 to 2040.
As the Sevenoaks District is 93% Green Belt, the third highest proportion in England, the Council has to consider a limited number of Green Belt sites to meet the District’s future housing and development needs.
The sites under consideration are in the most suitable locations, close to existing settlements, transport and services. Some are on poorly performing Green Belt, such as land that may already have been built on.
Local people can comment on Plan 2040 from Thursday 23 November 2023 until midnight on Thursday 11 January 2024 at www.sevenoaks.gov.uk/plan2040. They can also view Plan 2040 at local libraries, town or parish council offices and Sevenoaks District Council’s offices.
The Council is also running ‘Pop-up’ sessions at the following locations where the public can find out more and comment on Plan 2040:
- Monday 4 December 2023, 4.30pm to 7.30pm at Sevenoaks District Council’s offices, Argyle Road, Sevenoaks, TN13 1HG
- Wednesday 6 December 2023, 4.30pm to 7.30pm at the Eden Centre, Four Elms Road, Edenbridge, TN8 6BY
- Monday 11 December 2023, 4.30pm to 7.30pm at White Oak Leisure Centre, Hilda May Avenue, Swanley, BR8 7BT
- Tuesday 12 December 2023, 4.30pm to 7.30pm at the Village Hall, London Road, West Kingsdown, TN15 6BZ
- Wednesday 13 December 2023, 4.30pm to 7.30pm at the John Fryth Room, St. Mary the Virgin Church, The Green, Westerham, TN16 1AS
- Thursday 4 January 2024, 4.30pm to 7.30pm at Farningham Village Hall, High Street, Farningham, DA4 0DH
- Tuesday 9 January 2024, 4.30pm to 7.30pm at Sevenoaks Leisure Centre, Buckhurst Lane, Sevenoaks, TN13 1LW
Cllr Simon Reay, the Council’s Cabinet Member for Development & Conservation, says: “Plan 2040 focuses on the current and future needs of our local communities and reflects local issues.
“Not only has Government told us we need to enable 10,680 new homes up to 2040, we know there is an acute need for new affordable housing. Plan 2040 puts forward proposals for these much needed new homes along with business space and new infrastructure to meet our future needs.
“At the same time, Plan 2040 proposes to protect the overwhelming majority of the Green Belt while ensuring new developments provide high quality places and spaces and have the minimum impact on the environment.
“We’re really keen to hear the views of local people so I would urge them to get involved in our consultation.”