Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.

Horton Kirby & South Darenth Parish Council

Activities in our Village Halls

Please see below for information on activities that are held in our Village Halls

Bushin Kenpo Martial Arts & Self Defence Classes - Village Hall Thursday 8.00pm - 10.00pm

Thursday's Bushin Warriors, 8 to 9pm. Adults, 8 to 9.45pm.

Beginners and experienced martial artists welcome, first months lessons free.

Contact Details:
Email: info@BushinKenpo.com
Tel: 01322 761012

South Darenth Short Mat Bowling Club  - Village Hall Wednesday 1.45pm 

Meets all year round in the Village Hall on Wednesday afternoons 1.45 pm.; beginners welcome. For further details contact Joan Mole at Joan.mole@outlook.com

HK & SD LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY - Jubilee Hall Monday 8.00pm

Meets bi-monthly in Jubilee Hall

January, March, May, July, September and November

Meetings on 2nd Monday (except May - 3rd Monday)

Start 8pm

Refreshments

Raffle

Membership £7 (single) or £10 (couple)

Visitors always welcome (£2)

Publications on sale in Parish Office

terrymoyle74@gmail.com

NEW MONDAY CLUB - Village Hall 1.45pm

Our mother and toddler group is the New Monday Club.

0-5 we have a craft, slide equipment, lots of bikes and toys, playdoh table dressing up and more.

A place for mums to meet new friends, while children play.

Soft drinks and biscuits for children

And cakes for mums with their tea and coffee

Ending session with singing

1.45-3pm £2.50

Debbielines1234@gmail.com

The Valley Players

The Valley Players was started in 1949 but the origins are rather lost in the mists of time. As far as we know they were based at the old Sutton-At-Hone village Hall and when that hall was rebuilt in 1978, Valley Players made a donation of £50.

From 1949 to 1951 a series of one act plays were presented although we have no record of which plays these were, but we know that in 1952 "Easy Money" was the first multi-act play performed. That year there was just the one play but commencing in 1953 most years saw a Spring and Autumn production.

During 1979 rehearsals were a the Fleetdown Community Centre, presumably while the rebuilding was going on.

Around 1980, because there was no stage at Sutton-At-Hone Village Hall, Valley Players moved to Horton Kirby & South Darenth Village Hall. An item in the accounts for that year was £3 for the hire of a lorry, possibly to transport the props to the new hall.

Between November 1977 and March 1987 Sutton Court was used for rehearsals for reasons of cost.

The group have always donated money to the Cancer Research Campaign and raised many thousands of pounds over the years, receiving certificates of thanks from the local representative from the charity.

Around 1996 Valley Players joined force with the Women's Institute who produced the Village Pantomime each year and we have gradually taken over this production on behalf of them. In fact, since 2015 this has been our only annual production due to a reduction in the numbers of members and rising costs of producing plays but we hope to revive the production of plays in the near future.

We are a friendly group (yes, I know they ALL say that but we really are) and it really is fun to do. you don't have to "tread the boards" if you don't want to, there is always room for back stage folks making props and scenery, making teas on performance nights, prompting during performances and we usually find time for a relaxing drink at a local hostelry afterwards, not to mention a meal out a couple times per year.

Meeting generally start in September onwards at the Jubilee Hall so if you fancy yourself as a thespian, do come along.

Details of meetings will be publicised once confirmed. 

Yoga  - Jubilee Hall Tuesday 10.30am

Why practice yoga?

Yoga is an ancient scientific practice which originated from India and has evolved over thousands of years. More recently, there have been many studies proving that yoga can help improve quality of life and can help to maintain a fit and healthy body, and mind.

Studies have also shown that yoga helps to improve circulation, digestion, balance, flexibility and agility. Yoga can also help to maintain and even improve functional capacity such as concentration and endurance. Yoga postures are specifically designed to strengthen muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints.

Yoga, much like Pilates also improves core strength which is essential to promote healthy backs and hips which prevent trips and falls.

Yoga improves mental strength and has a calming effect; this in turn not only relieves tension but can help you have a better night’s sleep.

The breathing practices of yoga known as pranayama increase lung capacity which in turn delivers more oxygen to the body and helps with overall performance and efficiency. This relieves soreness and enhances tissue repair.

Relaxation and meditation practices allow the body to rest and digest and induce the relaxation response switching off the flight, fight freeze response which can cause stress and anxiety.

The question therefore is why wouldn’t you practice yoga?

A bit about me!

I have been practicing yoga since 1999. I started training to become a yoga teacher in 2007 with the British Wheel of Yoga (BWY). The BWY is the governing body of yoga in the UK. Since then I have completed additional training with ‘Yoga Campus’. This includes; pregnancy yoga, well woman yoga, children’s yoga and more recently I have completed a Yoga Therapy Diploma 550hrs. I am also a member of the Complimentary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC). I have an interest in Hatha yoga, yoga for women’s health, yoga for healthy aging and restorative yoga.